Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Find a Case

Explore the various options for locating federal court case records electronically, including logging into PACER.

Search for a case in the federal court where the case was filed. This information is updated immediately.

Use the PACER Case Locator to search a nationwide index of federal court cases. This information is updated daily.

Get automated case information for the U.S. Supreme Court and bankruptcy courts by phone.

Look up court opinions from appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts issued after April 2004 through the U.S. Government Publishing Office website.

 Frequently Asked Questions

Anyone can access PACER to view federal court records, but first you need to register for a PACER account

Case information is available through PACER 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. 

Each court maintains its own case information. If you know the district or circuit in which the case is filed, search that court directly. If you do not know where the case is filed, use the PACER Case Locator.

The PACER Service Center is open to assist you at (800) 676-6856 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or by email at

You are automatically logged out when you close your browser. You can also log out by clicking log out on the main menu. 

Most bankruptcy courts offer limited information through the Multi-court Voice Case Information System. Access to the system is currently offered at no cost and can be accessed by calling (866) 222-8029. 

Learn more about this system and participating bankruptcy courts.  

Contact the federal court where the case is filed to obtain information beyond the case summary, docket entries, and copies of documents.  

If you cannot locate a case when searching a federal court’s case records by case number or party name, try using the PACER Case Locator. This will generate a listing of nationwide court locations and case numbers where a party is involved in federal litigation. If you cannot find the case party through the PACER Case Locator, then contact the federal court where you think the case was filed for assistance.